Saturday, February 4, 2012

3. SOPA


I depend on Wikipedia for everything I look up. If I am researching a topic for a paper or how old Eminem is I wiki it. And yes, I have looked up how old Eminem is: he's 39.  I know, not what I expected either. But on January 18, 2012 Wikipedia along with Google had a blackout in protest of SOPA. The "Stop Online Privacy Act" could affect the way we use the internet and interfere with what websites we look at. Censorship of certain websites is a violation of the first Amendment and will limit our use of the internet. I understand why record companies are so determined to pass the new laws but is it really best for society? We live in a country where we should have the freedom to search the web freely unlike countries like China. In doing this public protest, Wikipedia received over 160 million views, which generated a lot of hype over the whole situation. In raising awareness, more people will be protesting their right to their freedom on the internet and hopefully the bill will not pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment