Wednesday, February 29, 2012

12. Some Much Needed Inspiration

Sitting in Creative Strategies class, I always feel overwhelmed by the end of the period. Like a chicken with its head cut off. There are so many different directions to take in advertising, I don't know where to start. I am in my third year of college and I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. Fortunately I have narrowed down what field I want to go into, so I got that going for me..

When Scott Bedbury came to guest lecture our class, it reaffirmed that I was on the right track.  Recently I had read his book, A New Brand World, and was blown away by how he revolutionized some of today's most well known brands.  To see him stand in front of our class and give us advice was unreal.

One of his slideshow quotes that I thought was memorable was:


“You will make mistakes. Make smart ones, learn from every single one of them, take risks, think big, start small, fail fast. Then scale like a madman.”

Bedbury recalled his time at Nike and how he utilized every mistake to  grow and make the company what it is today. With encouragement from his wife he went on to work at Starbucks and is now one of the most prominent in advertising.   

From the very beginning I wanted to do something that made an impact, something that people would react to, not just sell products to people. If you have great ideas, use them. A quote that definitely stood out was:

"Use your superhuman powers for good."

Why not leave an impact on the world?  Advertisers need to build up goodwill and use their abilities to help start movements rather than encourage materialism. Nike sells their products but believes 100% in them to be the best for their consumers. With their campaigns you not only want to buy their products but they inspire you to go out and be active. I want to encourage people to go out and be active in what they do, whether it be a sport or a support a cause they believe in. 

Bedbury's motivational talk gave me new insight to what I eventually want to become. I'm still figuring out my whole career path, but I know I want people to be inspired by the ads I will one day create.


No comments:

Post a Comment