Saturday, March 3, 2012

14.Comfort

Before my computer decided to stop working, I had been watching an old episode of Grey's Anatomy on Netflix. I've seen every episode at least three times but I still keep going back to watch them. Why? Because its comforting. Its familiar. Its my fallback show, something to do when I am bored.  Certain episodes trigger memories of the days I first watched them.  I associate Grey's Anatomy with positive thoughts, like some people do with brands.

Without realizing it, brands make up a significant portion of our lives. We buy the brands we know and trust. Usually these are the brands from our childhood as well. As a broke college student, I usually buy whatever is on sale at the store or the generic brand because it is cheaper.  But with certain items, I'll stick with the brands I know and trust. For example JIF peanut butter.

Growing up I had peanut butter every single day for lunch. I was a notoriously picky eater but would always eat a PB&J so my mom didn't question it. JIF peanut butter I associate with my childhood and all the good memories with it. Making peanut butter cookies and adding pretzels to them to look like honey bees.  Sitting on my front steps with a spoonful of peanut butter in the middle of summer.  If people connect brands to good memories they will continue to buy the products. In their mind, it is the best product and have associated it with great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment